A Chronology of Terrorism
20-40 minutes, depending on discussion during and after
6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Classroom/Homework Activity to be performed:
- As a group or as a class, students will create a chronology of events relating to terrorism since the 1970s (events may be edited as the teacher likes)
- In my American History class or Contemporary Issues, many students are unaware of the news or only hear of terrorist attacks by accident. This will introduce units on Modern Terrorism. It will also help increase their awareness, foster collaboration, and practice the skill of chronology.
District, state, or national performance and knowledge standards/goals/skills met:
Missouri Learning Standards adopted 2016:
- T1S2C: Predict the consequences which can occur when institutions fail to meet the needs of individuals and groups.
- T6S5C: Assess the response of individuals, groups, and the government to societal challenges to understand how systems change and evolve over time.
Full description of activity or assignment.
Full explanation of the assessment method and/or scoring guide:
- The act of showing the correct order of the events and having students arrange themselves will be the assessment.
- The lesson may be extended to have each student research and present more about their event and then have the class do the activity again (without notes, since now they should all know the date of their event).