DePriest Tea Incident
9, 10, 11, 12
Classroom/Homework Activity to be performed:
- Individual research to find contrasting evidence for change based on the 1929 DePriest Tea Incident
- To practice analyzing Primary Sources
- To practice looking for change(s) in American History themes
District, state, or national performance and knowledge standards/goals/skills met:
- Missouri SS 3, 1.6 & 1.9 – Analyze political developments in US; evolution of American democratic institutions including Civil Rights
- Missouri SS1.10 – Analyze the roles & influence of political parties and interest groups.
- Missouri SS 3, 1.6 & 1.10 – Describe the changing character of American society and culture
- AP – Analyze and evaluate historical patterns of continuity and change over time.
- AP – Connect patterns of continuity and change over time to larger historical processes or themes.
Primary materials (book, article, video documentary, etc.) needed:
- Initial Lesson source: (description and two memoirs from President Hoover and White House butler Irwin Hoover: http://www.whitehousehistory.org/whha_classroom/classroom_documents-1929.html
- Hoover Library: http://www.hoover.archives.gov/
- White House Historical Assoc : http://www.whitehousehistory.org/presentations/depriest-tea-incident/index.html
Full description of activity or assignment.
- Students have individual computers to conduct research, log on to White House history website to read the summary of the DePriest Tea Incident. (estimated time 10 minutes)
- Students research for documents supporting contrasting views of the Incident. (estimated time 30 minutes)
- Students write two separate answers to the questions about how the Incident represents either change or continuity in American History.
Full explanation of the assessment method and/or scoring guide:
- 0-2 points for directly stating what characteristic or feature of race, politics, or gender roles is staying the same (continuity) and/or what feature is showing differences (changing).
- 0-2 points for directly stating how the chosen document leads to that continuity and/or change.