- Letter from Harry to Bess, quoted in “Dear Bess, The Letters from Harry to Bess Truman, 1910-1959,” edited by Robert Ferrell, p. 39.
- Truman’s “Brotherhood of Man” speech, delivered on June 15, 1940 in Sedalia, MO. Congressional Record, 76th Congress, 3rd Session, 9140, 86, pt. 16: 4546-4547.
- Remark by Mary Jane Truman during an interview conducted by Jonathan Daniels. Citied by Robert Ferrell in “Harry S. Truman: A Life,” University of Missouri Press, 1994, p. 293.
- Transcript of an interview with George Elsey, conducted in 1969 by Jerry Hess. (Oral history, Truman Library)
- Transcript of an interview with Charles Murphy, conducted in 1969-70 by Jerry Hess. (Oral History, Truman Library)
- Entry from the Max Lowenthal Dairy, May 18, 1948. University of Minnesota Archives.
- Truman speech delivered in Haarlem, NY on October 11, 1952. Public Papers of the Presidents, Harry S. Truman, 1952-53, pp. 798-800.
- Outtake from TV series, “Decision: The Conflicts of Harry S. Truman.” Cited in “Freedom to Serve,” by Jon E. Taylor, Routledge, 2013, pp. 127-128.