The Marshall Plan through Political Cartoons
5-6 class periods
Classroom/Homework Activity to be performed:
- Each student will concept map each section of the chapter (post WW III).
- Each student will draw a political cartoon based on the chapter reading. All cartoons will be posted.
- Meets state and district performances and course objectives.
- Will promote cooperative learning.
- Will promote interpretive skills of primary documents
District, state, or national performance and knowledge standards/goals/skills met:
- USD 449 Performance 6- evaluate events and changes in United States during 20 &21st century.
- Course objectives- discuss the Truman Era.
- Kansas Performances- 10 use of primary sources. 14 compare and contrast same event
- Common Core- Public Speaking.
- Missouri CLE 3aW: Describe and evaluate the evolution of United States domestic and foreign policies including the Cold War.
Secondary materials (book, article, video documentary, etc.) needed:
- Textbook- America’s Story
- DVD- The Story of Us (Discovery Channel)
Primary materials (book, article, video documentary, etc.) needed:
- Google search- Marshall Plan Political Cartoons ( 80 plus cartoons)
Full description of activity or assignment.
- Each class will be divided into teams of 2-3(4 if large class).
- Each team will go to the Google site and pick two (2) cartoons- one pro, one con of the Marshall Plan (the students will have already constructed 4-6 political cartoons from previous chapters).
- Each team will select 2 cartoons (one pro, one con) from the web site (will be allowed time to explore if none meet their fancy).
- Each team will cite the meaning and three (3) examples from the cartoon that explains the meaning.
- Teacher will move amongst the groups to monitor progress and offer suggestions if teams are having difficulties.
- Each team will present their cartoons with their three examples from the cartoon as evidence of its meaning.
Full explanation of the assessment method and/or scoring guide:
- Concept Maps- 50 points-due end of class (3-4 sections/ chapter)
- Chapter political cartoon- 50 pts. It must- A) be based on an event from the chapter, B) must make a comment or have a message. C) Be understood by anyone who has read the chapter. All cartoons will be posted in the room.
- Daily Team/ Partner work: A) on task, contributing to the team- 30 pts. B) On task most of the time, some contributing to the team-24pts. C) Little contributions to team, off task – 18 pts.
- Team Presentation: 40 pts. - team has eye contact, each member speaks in a clear voice, good posture. 32pts. –little eye contact, most members speak clearly, good posture. 24pts. - almost no eye contact, muddled voice, bad posture.
- Exit card: 1) which cartoon was your favorite. 2) Why?
- Chapter test- 100 pts, MC, Match, Essay.