LBJ-- Escalation in Vietnam and Domestic programs
5-7 class days
Classroom/Homework Activity to be performed:
- Read textbook on LBJ Administration and Vietnam War
- Concept map sections on LBJ Administration and Vietnam War
- Divide class in half – First half for time line of Vietnam War. Second half - timeline of LBJ Domestic programs
- Mobile Computer lab- each half are to be put in pairs to research their half’s topic
- Each half will meet and assemble their timeline.
- Meets Course Objectives and District Performances.
- Will promote cooperative learning.
- Information for this time frame will be student generated.
- Develop comparing and contrasting skills
- Students will develop computer research skills.
District, state, or national performance and knowledge standards/goals/skills met:
- USD449 district Performance 6- Evaluate events and changes in US during 19th through 21st centuries.
- Course objectives – Unit X: 4- Discuss the LBJ Administration.5- Civil Rights Movement. 6- The Vietnam War.
- Kansas Performance- 10- Use of Primary Sources. 14- Compare and Contrast descriptions of the same event.
KANSAS STANDARDS (History-8th Grade)
Benchmark 4: The student engages in historical thinking skills
1. (A) examines a topic in United States history to analyze changes over time and makes logical inferences concerning cause and effect.
2. (A) examines a variety of different types of primary sources in United States history and analyzes them in terms of credibility, purpose, and point of view (e.g., census records, diaries, photographs, letters, government documents).
SHOW ME STANDARDS
7. The use of tools of social science inquiry (such as surveys, statistics, maps, documents)
Secondary materials (book, article, video documentary, etc.) needed:
- Textbook- America’s Story
Primary materials (book, article, video documentary, etc.) needed:
Full description of activity or assignment.
- Each student will complete concept maps on the sections on Vietnam, LBJ’s Administration, and Civil Rights Movement.
- Mobile computer lab- each team (as partners) will research their topics-Team A-Vietnam War, Team B- Domestic programs.
- Each team will assemble a time line on their topics and post.
- Teams A& B will combine time lines into one timeline (all 3 time lines will be posted).
- Students will write a comparative essay (3 paragraphs- 4 to 6 sentences paragraphs) on LBJ’s Domestic programs and the Vietnam War.
- Students will color World wall map coloring Blue for free and red for Communist nations (will compare it to Korean War time frame map done earlier).
- Students will take chapter test.
- Teacher will monitor group work, make web site suggestions ,use reflecting questions to student inquiries.
Full explanation of the assessment method and/or scoring guide:
- Concept maps – 50 pts each, graded end of class by teacher.
- Partner work- 30 pts.-on task researching topic, working as a team. 24pts.- on topic, some team work. 21 pts.- little team work, off task at times.
- 20pts.- each partner/ pair contributes to the team
- 20 pts.- Participates in class discussion of timelines and possible meanings
- Write a Comparison Essay based on the assembled information and concept maps – 50 pts.
- Chapter test- (matching, MC, T/F, essay) 100pts.
- Red/Blue world map- 30 pts
- Project total: 250pts.