KC Jazz of 20s and 30s
2 days research, one day assembly, 2 days presenting - total - 4 days
Kansas City History
Classroom/Homework Activity to be performed:
- The 8th grade sections of American History will be divided in groups of three.
- The class will have read the chapter on the 20's and 30's, completing concept maps on all the sections of the text chapters.
- This is a state assessed time frame.
- To increase a greater knowledge and appreciation of our local (KC) importance in Jazz.
- To tie Kansas History project with 8th grade in hopes of better assessments. .
District, state, or national performance and knowledge standards/goals/skills met:
- Kansas History objectives - 3: discuss what caused and how the Dust Bowl impacted Kansas. 5: discuss the art and culture of Kansas.
- Kansas Performance- 9: Kansas Agriculture in the 1930's. 10: Use of Primary Sources
- Geography Standard 3: ID the various physical and human criteria that can be used to define a region
- Kansas American History Performance -14 - compare and contrasting descrbitions of the same event.
- American History Objective- 4: Describe America's postwar reactions and the "Jazz Age"
- District Computer Literacy goals
2. Continuity and change in the history of Missouri, the United States and the world
4. Economic concepts (including productivity and the market system) and principles (including the laws of supply and demand)
5. The major elements of geographical study and analysis (such as location, place, movement, regions) and their relationships to changes in society and environment
6. Relationships of the individual and groups to institutions and cultural traditions
7. The use of tools of social science inquiry (such as surveys, statistics, maps, documents)
Secondary materials (book, article, video documentary, etc.) needed:
- Richmond's Kansas: Land of Contrast, chapter title "Dirty 30's".
- Driggs and Haddix's Kansas City Jazz: From Ragtime to Bebop-A History (musicians and bands in KC)
- P. Griekspoor's Kansas-The Prairie Spirit,History,People,and Stories chp 9
- J. Chinn's The Kansas Journey chp10
- Isern & Wilson's Kansas Land chp 10
Primary materials (book, article, video documentary, etc.) needed:
- KC History( digital gallery, maps, newspapers)
- KC Memory (topics of environment, time lines, gov't, letters, photosÃ¯Â¿Â½.)
- youtube.com (performances of jazz)
Full description of activity or assignment.
- Day 1- the students will review the different Jazz performers and pick the individual or group they want . The teacher will be walking about the class room giving suggestions on topics and where to find choices of the Group( most will have time to head to Library computers- they knew project was coming and partners).
- Day 2- the students will be in the Library selected the music they want and the reasons for their choice.
- Day 3- the students will organize and prepare to present.
- Day 4- students will present their selection and explain why (Volunteers first- if none- random pick by teacher)
Full explanation of the assessment method and/or scoring guide:
- KC Jazz Rubric:
- I) Visual 10 9 8 7 6 4
- II) Presentation 20 18 16 14 12 10
- III) Voice 10 9 8 7 6 4
- IV) Eye Contact 5 4 3 2
- V) Listening Skils 5 4 2 1
- Total points: 50