Teaching Activity - Keep These Hands Off!
1. List the symbols, written and illustrated, used in the poster.
you describe the symbols as:
3. What do the two symbols on the two hands represent? Think carefully about who the USA was fighting in the war.
4. What do you think the phrase "Keep These Hands Off!" means? Explain in your own words.
5. What would the emotional reaction to the poster be for: men? women? children?
6. What is the purpose of the poster?
7. What does the Government hope the audience will do after viewing the poster?
8. Can any generalizations be made about the role of women in the 1940s from studying the poster?
9. To make this same poster suitable for use today, what changes, if any, would you make?