Truman's Acceptance Speech
A. As you listen to the radio announcer:
1) Describe the convention hall surroundings:
2) Why does the announcer
give the listeners this much detail?
B. As you listen to President Truman's speech, answer the following:
1. To what audiences
do you think President Truman is directing his message?
2. Truman states what
major difference exists between the Democrats and Republicans
3. Under Democrat
presidents these past 16 years, Truman states these groups have benefited
4. True or False: Truman labels the 80th Congress as being the worst in US history.
5. In our foreign relations with other nations, Truman believes that our nation must do what?
6. Truman attacks the Republican Party as the party for whom? ______________________
7. President Truman
attacks Congress in what ways?
8. Truman refers to
the Republican 1948 platform as "____________________" What
does this mean?
9. Truman ends his speech by forcing Congress to do what?
10. He wants Congress to tackle what major concerns?
11. Truman associates the Republican Party with what recent American crisis?
1) Evaluate his speech
and state your reasons: Was it interesting? Convincing? To the Point?
Did he project a good delivery style? Is it easy to understand his major
points? Circle one: (high) 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 (low)
2) Your opinion. Could
a presidential candidate give such a hard-hitting, aggressive speech today?
3) You are a Republican who is opposed to the charges made by President Truman toward your party. Create a short two-minute reply to his speech, which will be delivered over the radio the following evening.